This week I spent some time updating the Pedometer branches that I was working on. At first my Native-Pedometer branch had too many conflicts and errors after merging. So much of the day was spent making my final commits and pushes to this old deprecated branch. Next I checked out the DEV branch, made sure it worked and and then made the Native Pedometer II branch. This all was working after checking on the phone. This was the new branch I would work with from now until the next successful merge. I would like to say thanks to Wei for his advice on how this complicated process works. Next I made a pull request in my Bit Bucket repository so from now I can simply commit, push and make updates whenever. This all been done, I wanted to now do some more work. I feel that some way to connect the Pedometer to the Mobile Blue Tooth adapter could be through intents. That way when a user clicks on a button a new activity is launched. Currently I am investigating this process and hope to solve this efficiently and creatively. This is my task at the moment and is based on concepts I am researching and have learned in class previously.
Last week was very interesting. I was given an opportunity to present at the NEXJ Express booth at the CDOT Open House. Many came and went. Some stopped to ask questions about the work we do. I was glad to answer the questions as challenging as they were. At the end of this special evening I felt a great sense of achievement.
The next day Friday I spent time reviewing the Pedometer. I have made some improvements that I think are important. Such as:
This week I spent my time upgrading the pedometer from Cordova 2.5.0 to 2.9.0. The changes that are noticeable are in the config.xml file. Plugins are now known as features, and if you don’t use “android-package” you end up having problems. So if your new to this it will take a while to make sure everything is working. So with a bit of luck I had the Pedometer working by the evening and noticed that there are improvements that need to be made. In my next blog post, I will post a picture of that Pedometer looks like. I am no longer using using the jQuery available via HTTP, everything is now included whether you are online or offline. Likewise for the CSS. I look forward to continuing ‘servicing’ the pedometer this week already here. It should be on demo with the rest of the Mobile Bluetooth adapter this Thursday at the CDOT open house. So see you soon.
This week I continued to work on the Pedometer. I made improvements such as counting the steps in the background when the phone is turned off. I guess this is a step to final working App. Next I will be implementing the GPS distance and Speed. I am learning to prefer library source code to the JAR that most authors provide, that way I can work with the API as well as the nitty gritty that goes on behind the scenes. This is a lot to learn and realize as in the end I am finally getting to benefit from Open Source ethic-ism. This week I am continuing the Pedometer project. I will implement distance and speed. There is more that what meets the eye. See you at the end of this week.
My main goal for this week was starting to integrate the pedometer with the Mobile Bluetooth adapter. So I started by importing the project into the bigger picture. I spent some time looking at how to create a separate action in the MedicalDevicePlugin Class. My aim is to create an action that will allow me to launch the Pedometer Activity that starts the Step Service. Definitely this is one way to tackle the problem, and I will need to create other ways of gathering information from the pedometer. Me and Wei actually spent probably an hour talking about how this could work. I look forward to having the final product implemented soon.